Thursday, April 2, 2009

R U CHICKEN?????

Ok, so I just called you out....right sister Janis ya want to step outside....do ya' feel lucky...huh? do ya' ? No, ok I am actually going to talk about our latest pets. Yes you guessed it. Cute cuddley baby chicks. Daryl has wanted to do this for a while. Again, I will post pics of these when I can get Janis to help me. We got 4 Bantams and 2 fryers. This is a true lesson for the kids, they know where chicken nuggets come from but kinda don't. Do you know what I mean? They have formed attachments to the little banties but not to Tyson and Cordon Blue. They know that they will be ready to butcher at 6 weeks so better not love them to much. I named those 2 chicks....I have a cousin that had a turkey named Butterball. Do you know they never ate him, when he got so big he broke down in the legs, she took him to the vet to have him put down. Crazy huh? She eats meat just not pets. She is the bird and wild critter rescuer in Pueblo. If someone finds a nest of chicks or abandend baby squirrels, she nurses them back to health and reintroduces them to the wild.

Now back to the fryers....there is one problem. There was a rumor about the church that owned the building before The Church of God. It was that they sacrificed chickens. The story, as I understand it, came from them having a play with live animals. The chickens got loose and they had to chase them across the park. Someone saw this and jumped to conclusions. This is one of those small town USA stories where, even though the Church has now owned the building since 1994 people think we are those people. Don't you just love rumors....not. I have done my best to tell everyone I know this funny story and explain it is not true. I have also told Daryl he will be butchering out at the mill or some where else.

One other problem, I am getting different answers as to whether it is legal or not to have hens in town. I know most towns frown on roosters. They are noisy, in my opinion not as noisy as boom boom cars. What gets me is we are a "rural" type town, I can make it most anywhere in town in
5 minutes or less. Why would chickens be a problem, we aren't some huge town with tons of rules. Oh well, I don't want to break the law, so I am finding out the answer. If they are not allowed, Sister Cheryle have a few more chickens. She has a bunch now.

This is our final day of testing. I will surrender this computer to my friend soon and I will be back to the library or Sis. Janis' house. bummer eh? I will do all I can to figure this picture thing out so stay tuned.

Just a side note Sister Smith, haven't you ever felt schiencey....you know science is over rated but schience now there is a subject. (I guess I better spell check more :)

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I have a feeling I'd enjoy schience a whole lot more than I did studying science!

cokelady said...

I'm dying over the whole chicken thing! I can just picture a little coop outside the church building, neighbors eyeing it suspiciously every day, then one day Brother Daryl walks out in a long, robe with an ax and some incense... HA!