Friday, March 20, 2009

A sad day....

Today was a rough day. We had to get rid of our dog that we have had since he was a pup. He was only 1 1/2 years old but he was a part of the kids and my daily life. He needed a better life than we could give him, he was high strung which is normal for herding dogs. He now lives on a farm where neighborhood kids won't tease him and he can bark without fear of animal control coming to hand me a ticket. It was still hard but I reminded the kids that it is best all around. He was a big dog, 70 lbs and not fat, with bigger needs than I could meet. It wasn't fair to him to have to be kenneled every time I went to the store or to homeschool coop. I think it is best. When I got him, I didn't know he would be so big. I have had each of the 2 breeds he was a mix of and they are a medium size dog but he was tall too.

We had our co-op class today. It went well, we invited a group of ladies called the cowbelles. They demonstrated some things that were a part of dailly life in the early 1900's. They showed the kids how to use a washboard and they brought irons of the time. My my, we complain about ironing and wash....we should be so thankful for modern conveniences.

It looks as if spring may have sprung up here in coldsville. It was in the upper 60's today. It is beautiful. Well until next time.

1 comment:

Vicki Smith said...

So sorry about your doggie. It sounds like you made the right decision, though.
I read your post below about the frog eye salad. YUM! Sister Cheryle used to make that for the potlucks because everybody demanded it, pretty much. I haven't had any in years, but just this last week I came across the recipe, too. Next potluck I'm going to make some. If I can remember, that is.