Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fun Homeschool time

Hey. Can you guess where I am right now. The library again. I wanted to share with you the cool class we had yesterday. To give you background, we are a part of a homeschool group here and I am now in charge of classes. I learned how to delegate which is hard for me. I like having control and since I wasn't teaching all of the class, I struggled. I let one of our new parents take over, she taught science in the TX public schools and is the wife of a doctor. It seemed fitting she should know alot about the circulatory system and the heart. ( I chose the theme to go with valentine's day) My duties were to secure the hearts, which were freshly removed from their owners on Thurs by the local butcher. I was only able to get one cow heart and one hog heart but two are better than none. (NO fermaldihide, but still a stink to a point. ) The gal who taught the class had prepared a power point presentation and had a tour of a virtual museum. We had a coloring station with heart scriptures and we had an exercise station where we took resting pulse rates and active. I had to then take blood pressures, the old way with cuff and stethescope. I learned how to do this my senior year of high school, needless to say I was out of practice. Daryl took the morning off and helped the kids with the heart disection. I avoided the area, as I gag when I remove the fat from a roast. The kids had a great time.

Now how to have as dynamic of a class next week. I am thinking of creating a "cell" city. I coppied some lesson plans, we'll see how that goes. Any ideas out there, fellow bloggers.

Well, I need to probably get home. Daryl stayed with the little guys to give me some time. He needs to head to work.

Until next time.

4 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

What a great class. Cell city sounds like it would be great too. Do you have microscopes to look at cells in the blood? I think there are strips that you can get to type your blood too. Not only would it be interesting, but it would be helpful too.

I had to video tape when our co-op disected tiger sharks and starfish. The smell just about did me in. Then my oldest decided that he needed to pop the eyeball out of the socket...I almost hit the floor. All the kids thought that was pretty hilarious.

EmileeAnn said...

Wow! That sounds really cool...and REALLY gross!! Visuals always make lessons so much more interesting, but I'm not sure how well I'd do with real animal hearts.

It's good to hear that the co-op is going well!

Montgomery's said...

Sounded like a great class you had. Although, I can't imagine you being afraid of a heart or being grossed out by fat. lol. Sorry, I have any suggestions as far as a cool class. Visuals are great to learn by, they seems to stick so much better. Good luck!

cokelady said...

Wow!!! It's so cool that you are so involved and able to do so many neat things. The kids will always remember them. Personally, I don't intend to ever make that cutting-into-real-hearts memory with my kids. Bleagh! You can be the good Mom. I'm okay with being The Bad One. ;-)